groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: About simplifying the switch for runtime groovydoc
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2018 00:31:58 GMT
I like the short notation much better than the long notation.

The /** notation for Javadoc was cryptic 20 years ago but there was no resistance to the idea.
Why not? Because it was such a useful feature of the language!

I think we all agree that making GroovyDoc available at runtime is a useful feature. Why do
we even need a @GroovyDoc tag?

The /**@ notation makes runtime GroovyDoc a first-class citizen of the language. This seems
much better than requiring an overly verbose @GroovyDoc tag.

In addition, there is nothing about the long @GroovyDoc notation that tells me the doc string
is retained at runtime. So it isn’t actually clearer...

Remko.

(Shameless plug) Every java main() method deserves http://picocli.info

> On Oct 24, 2018, at 23:12, Guillaume Laforge <glaforge@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Not necessarily. Discussions are better, leading towards a consensus.
> Polls can have very different outcomes depending on how you define the questions and
answers, how you advertise the poll, how you interpret the results of the poll, etc.
> Before any poll, I'd like to hear about those early users of this non-released-yet feature,
to hear what their thoughts are.