groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: About simplifying the switch for runtime groovydoc
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2018 03:00:43 GMT
MG’s arguments make sense to me.

Remko

> On Oct 21, 2018, at 23:05, MG <mgbiz@arscreat.com> wrote:
>
> Yea, sure. But doesn't a new shorthand syntax always have that trait ?-)
> And would that not mean that we can never, ever again introduce a shorthand notation
in Groovy for anything, unless it is syntactically based on an existing/established shorthand
notation (which in this case it kinda is, since it looks like a Javadoc comment - with something
extra. Aka Groovy ;-) ) ?

> Learning a language always means learning its syntax. If you encounter something unexpected,
Google is your friend (Not a Google expert, but I assume "/**@" should be good to find, since
it contains no spaces).
> Also in this case I think it would not make a lot of difference to the casual user: He
will most likely just assume it is some kind of Javadoc variety, if he even notices the "@"
at the end.

> Instead of outright blocking another proposal by Daniel, maybe we can instead come up
with a compromise that everyone can can agree on... ?-)