On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 2:52 AM Jochen Theodorou <blackdrag@gmx.org> wrote:
Am 04.09.2018 um 06:49 schrieb Daniel Sun:
> Hi Paul,
>
>       Safe index is only for accessing the elements of collections and object
> properties, but not for creating instance. The collections and objects may
> be null, so we designed the "safe" index.
>
>       To sum up, I vote -1 to support syntax like `Date[time:0]`, the class
> instance will not be null.

I think you actually miss the point a little. Let me rephrase... should
we support

somMap?[x:y]

for example. I personally think we can take supporting things like
x[y:z] and x?[y:z] as future project... if we find a nice use case for this.

We certainly could ... but we don't have such a proposal in front of us right now, so it's
whether we'd like to cater for the current situation in the meantime with an improved
error message. We could remove such an error message at a future point if we have
an acceptable proposal.

Having said that, it's hard to pick up this error case here without also making the
missing : within a ternary error message look more complex. You'd basically need
an error message that coped with both cases. Hence my suggestion to close as
"Won't fix". (But fix up the empty Map edge case only - without safe decorator).

bye Jochen