De: "paulk" <paulk@asert.com.au>
À: "Remi Forax" <forax@univ-mlv.fr>
Cc: "dev" <dev@groovy.apache.org>
Envoyé: Lundi 3 Septembre 2018 00:26:27
Objet: Re: Support of Java 11 using ASM 6.2.1 and ASM 7
Hi,
Groovy 3.x snapshots use ASM7_EXPERIMENTAL. For Groovy 2.5.x, the current plan (subject to change) is that we were planning on waiting for the ASM 7 release and doing a new release after that.

in that case, perhaps Groovy 2.5.x should reject classfiles V11 and V12 with an error message instead of having ASM throwing an UnsupportedOperationException later, at least until ASM 7 is integrated

But, I must admit that I haven't really had a chance to look at the full implications of using ASM7_EXPERIMENTAL. If we added that already in 2.5.x but don't use any of the new features, is there any backward compatibility issues when we then switched to ASM7?

Currently no, just replacing ASM7_EXPERIMENTAL by ASM7 is enough and given that Java 11 is already in release candidate phase, we do not expect any compatibility issues.
Also, there is no bytecode changes planned for 12 so the latest release of ASM 6 (6.2.1) also allows Java 12 bytecode.

Cheers, Paul.

regards,
Rémi