groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] GString is implemented eager and treated as normal String since groovy 3.0.0
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2018 11:16:13 GMT

Am 11.09.2018 um 12:16 schrieb Paolo Di Tommaso:
> I mean that Java.next’s syntax for raw strings does not support variable
> interpolation. My understanding is that groovy won't either.

we have actually 4 multiline string variants, of which 1 is not
supporting variable interpolation
http://groovy-lang.org/syntax.html#_string_summary_table

What the Java version does and we not, is having no interpolation for
escapes. We have the dollar-slashy-string to have a different escape
symbol, but without escapes (raw strings) is nothing we have.

And actually I don't think we need raw string literals in Groovy at
all... but that might be because I do not see good use for them beyond
regular expressions, and for those we have a solution in Groovy already.

bye Jochen