groovy-dev mailing list archives

From fo...@univ-mlv.fr
Subject Re: Support of Java 11 using ASM 6.2.1 and ASM 7
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2018 06:06:21 GMT

in that case, perhaps Groovy 2.5.x should reject classfiles V11 and V12 with an error message
instead of having ASM throwing an UnsupportedOperationException later, at least until ASM
7 is integrated

> But, I must admit that I haven't really had a chance to look at the full
> implications of using ASM7_EXPERIMENTAL. If we added that already in 2.5.x but
> don't use any of the new features, is there any backward compatibility issues
> when we then switched to ASM7?

Currently no, just replacing ASM7_EXPERIMENTAL by ASM7 is enough and given that Java 11 is
already in release candidate phase, we do not expect any compatibility issues.
Also, there is no bytecode changes planned for 12 so the latest release of ASM 6 (6.2.1) also
allows Java 12 bytecode.

> Cheers, Paul.

regards,
Rémi