groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk>
Subject Re: Licence statements
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2018 11:29:15 GMT
On Wed, 2018-08-01 at 20:29 +1000, Paul King wrote:
> Yes, Groovy 2.5.X has JDK7 as minimum and Groovy 3 has JDK8. From your
> description, it seems like both don't need jsr116y. I'll refresh my memory
> and run some tests and get rid of it assuming all goes to plan.

That would be the right route I think. Try removing jsr166y.jar as a
dependency run the tests, and I hope nothing breaks.

> For GPars 2, it will be interesting to see whether we can have gpars-core,
> gpars-asynch, gpars-dataflow, etc. modules or whether one fat module will
> make sense.

I am not sure about this, but that is because I haven't thought about it, not
because I think it is necessarily a bad idea. In the post JDK8 world, the data
parallel stuff in GPars is somewhat less important because of Stream. GPars
actors, active objects, daflow, and CSP are the main features and I wonder if
they should just be bundled together. Separating them means people have to do
more configuration, is that a barrier too far for what, after all seems to be
a not used library.

The total lack of interest in the published GPars being so old, and progress
on GPars 2 being so slow is a real turn off to putting in any effort on this.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200