groovy-dev mailing list archives

From "Milles, Eric (TR Technology & Ops)" <eric.mil...@thomsonreuters.com>
Subject Re: suggestion: ImplicitSafeNavigation annotation
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2018 14:14:01 GMT
Does your requested change amount to setting the "isSafe" condition on all PropertyExpression
instances in a block?  That is the AST equivalent of adding the '?' to each '.'

________________________________
From: ocs@ocs <ocs@ocs.cz>
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2018 7:55 AM
To: h2gr@abula.org
Cc: dev@groovy.apache.org
Subject: Re: suggestion: ImplicitSafeNavigation annotation

H2,

On 15 Aug 2018, at 9:47 AM, h2gr@abula.org<mailto:h2gr@abula.org> wrote:

OCS, your reference to Objective-C is interesting, as is your expectation for your code to
encounter null values often.

In my experience, a null is (should be, at the very least) a first-class citizen, value which
simply means “there is no object there”. In normal code it happens all the time, e.g.,
if you check a map with a key which happens not to be there, or if you use find with a condition
which happens not to match any of the items in the list, etc.

I may be old school, but I think the semantics of null values is interesting, as is the semantics
of safe navigation.

Actually, all this NPE stuff (and its consequences) is pretty new-school :)

The aforementioned Objective C (of eighties!) has a couple of very simple rules:
- wherever an expression returns an object, it may return a nil;
- whenever a message[*] is sent to a nil, it is a very quick and efficient empty operation,
whose return value is again nil.

[*] in ObjC, you use an object exclusively[**] through sending messages: you send a message
without any argument for a property getter, you send a message with one argument for a property
setter, you send a message with an arbitrary number of arguments for a method call, etc.
[**] but for the access to instance variables (more or less “fields”), which is sort-of
similar to plain-C structs, and happens from the declaring class code only, usually is limited
to the property accessor methods and never used outside of them.

Whilst I do completely appreciate that tastes and experiences do differ, well, myself, in
thirty-odd years of using this paradigm daily and after an uncounted zillions source lines
in projects some of which have 25-odd-year lifespan, were made for NeXTSTEP ages ago and are
maintained for macOS of today, I am yet to find any drawback of this approach. Cases when
a bug has been caused by unintended and uncaught sending a message to a nil are extremely
rare (myself I can recall about three of such cases in all those years), whilst the advantages
for code readability, conciseness, and robustness are tremendous.

Safe navigation addresses the matter of nested if statements, perfectly in my opinion.

Absolutely. Nevertheless, there's absolutely no point why it should be limited to methods
— compare e.g., the following case (very simple and thus a bit artificial to keep concise):

===
interface TreeNode {
  TreeNode createChildIfPossible(String name); // if possible, creates and returns a new named
child; null if not possible
}
void makeSubtreeIfPossible(TreeNode tn) { // here, we do not care whether successful; just
want to make as big a subtree as possible
  def foo=tn?.createChildIfPossible('foo')
  foo?.createChildIfPossible('bar')?.createChildIfPossible('baz')
  foo?.createChildIfPossible('bax')?.createChildIfPossible('baz')?.createChildIfPossible('last')
}
===

Thanks to ?. we have dodged the necessity of super-ugly ifs, but still, the result is sort
of at the ugly javaish side. Can we get groovier? Well of course we can:

===
class TreeNode {
  def leftShift(object) { this.createChildIfPossible(object) }
}
void makeSubtreeIfPossible(TreeNode tn) {
  def foo=tn?<<'foo'
  foo?<<'bar'?<<'baz'
  foo?<<'bax'?<<'baz'?<<'last'
}
===

Oh, oops! We can't do that, for we do not have “safe navigation” for operators, and thus,
if we want to use the << for adding a child, we would have to get back to ugly Javaish
ifs, which I would not dare to show lest some reader might get sick :)

What's more, it is explicit in terms of where it applies - you can combine safe navigation
with "unsafe navigation", allowing NPE's to be thrown and nulls to propagate where appropriate.

Agreed, and where one needs just an occasional null-propagation, it's perfect (or, as the
example above shows, would be, if it could be used with all the operators instead of just
with the method call, property access and indexing ones).

Nevertheless, there are cases where one needs the null-propagation not just occasionally,
but very often (if not exclusively) in a piece of code — do not all the ?'s in the examples
above look ugly? And even if you like them, they very definitely make the code highly fragile:
it is very easy and quite probable to simply forget one or two of them, getting thus one unwanted,
uncaught and potentially disastrous NPE (essentially in random based on the data, so testing
might not help to find&fix the culprit). You would rather have to add a try/catch harness,
which in this case creates a boilerplate code. We should do without boilerplate in Groovy,
in my opinion!

On the other hand, this would be clear, concise, completely intention-revealing, and completely
robust:

===
@ImplicitSafeNavigation(true) void makeSubtreeIfPossible(TreeNode tn) {
  def foo=tn<<'foo'
  foo<<'bar'<<'baz'
  foo<<'bax'<<'baz'<<'last'
}
===

Unless the same explicit control can be exerted over arithmetic / other expressions, I think
those two concepts cannot be compared.

Seems to me it's just one concept, not two of them.

It has been available from the very beginning for two kinds of expressions: a method call
and a property getter.

Lately, it has been extended to another kind of expression, namely, the indexing.

It would be only consistent and reasonable to extend the thing to all expressions without
an exception.

Regardless whether that happens or not, still, it is only one and the same concept; we are
not debating any other one, but just an extent of its availability. Especially in Groovy,
where... oh, see please below :)

I also think any assumption about the semantics of null values are problematic. In particular,
assuming that any null value in an expression should be propagated is not obvious to me.

To me, it seems very obvious, completely natural and quite intuitive — especially in Groovy
where (unlike many other languages) the “expression operators” are essentially just a
convenience syntax sugar for plain method calls (i.e., “foo<<bar” is nothing but
a convenience shorthand for equivalent but ugly “foo.leftShift(bar)”, “foo+bar” for
“foo.plus(bar)”, and so forth).

Thanks and all the best,
OC