groovy-dev mailing list archives

From h...@abula.org
Subject Re: suggestion: ImplicitSafeNavigation annotation
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2018 07:32:30 GMT
See comment below.

Den 2018-08-15 14:55, skrev ocs@ocs:
> [...]
>> interesting, as is the semantics of safe navigation.
>
> Actually, all this NPE stuff (and its consequences) is pretty
> new-school :)
>
> The aforementioned Objective C (of eighties!) has a couple of very
> simple rules:
> - wherever an expression returns an object, it may return a _nil_;
> - whenever a message[*] is sent to a _nil_, it is a very quick and
> efficient empty operation, whose return value is again _nil_.
>
> [*] in ObjC, you use an object exclusively[**] through sending
> messages: you send a message without any argument for a property
> getter, you send a message with one argument for a property setter,
> you send a message with an arbitrary number of arguments for a method
> call, etc.
> [**] but for the access to instance variables (more or less
> “fields”), which is sort-of similar to plain-C structs, and
> happens from the declaring class code only, usually is limited to the
> property accessor methods and never used outside of them.
>
> Whilst I do completely appreciate that tastes and experiences do
> differ, well, myself, in thirty-odd years of using this paradigm daily
> and after an uncounted zillions source lines in projects some of which
> have 25-odd-year lifespan, were made for NeXTSTEP ages ago and are
> maintained for macOS of today, I am yet to find any drawback of this
> approach. Cases when a bug has been caused by unintended and uncaught
> sending a message to a _nil_ are extremely rare (myself I can recall
> about three of such cases in all those years), whilst the advantages
> for code readability, conciseness, and robustness are tremendous.
>
>> Safe navigation addresses the matter of nested if statements,
>> perfectly in my opinion.
>
> Absolutely. Nevertheless, there's absolutely no point why it should be
> limited to methods — compare e.g., the following case (very simple
> and thus a bit artificial to keep concise):
>
> ===
> interface TreeNode {
>   TreeNode createChildIfPossible(String name); // if possible, creates
> and returns a new named child; null if not possible
> }
> void makeSubtreeIfPossible(TreeNode tn) { // here, we do not care
> whether successful; just want to make as big a subtree as possible
>   def foo=tn?.createChildIfPossible('foo')
>   foo?.createChildIfPossible('bar')?.createChildIfPossible('baz')
>
> foo?.createChildIfPossible('bax')?.createChildIfPossible('baz')?.createChildIfPossible('last')
> }
> ===
>
> Thanks to ?. we have dodged the necessity of super-ugly ifs, but
> still, the result is sort of at the ugly javaish side. Can we get
> groovier? Well of course we can:
>
> ===
> class TreeNode {
>   def leftShift(object) { this.createChildIfPossible(object) }
> }
> void makeSubtreeIfPossible(TreeNode tn) {

This looks like a mix of effects and side effects.

The effect: The leftShift(object) method is supposed to return the
TreeNode instance created by the createChildIfPossible(String name)
method allowing subsequent calls as long as the return value is not
null.

The side effect: At the same time, createChildIfPossible(String name)
and therefore also leftShift(object) is supposed to build a tree
structure, mutating the internals of the TreeNode tn argument to the
makeSubtreeIfPossible(TreeNode tn) method.

I like null propagation in evaluation chains which generate a some value
to be assigned to a variable, but the same ting as a mechanism to stop
creating side effects is not right at all in my book.