groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Andres Almiray <aalmi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Updates on JaCoCo support
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2018 20:53:15 GMT
There’s a difference between synthetic and having the @Generated annotation, they are not
equivalent. Synthetic signals tools to ignore the method altogether (JaCoCo honors this behavior).
@Generated should be applied to non-synthetic methods/classes; what a particular tool decides
to do with that information is up to the tool itself, in the case of JaCoCo it’ll skip the
method/class from coverage.

The reason I raises this issue is to see if there are any objections in adding @Generated
to most (if not all) compiler generated methods (property getter/setter, core AST xforms)
as this change touches lots of files, however it has no impact of Groovy behavior, rather
it impacts tools that may parse Groovy bytecode (like JaCoCo).

Cheers
Andres (with no extra a)

Sent from my primitive Tricorder

> On 15 Aug 2018, at 22:43, Milles, Eric (TR Technology & Ops) <eric.milles@thomsonreuters.com>
wrote:

> Andreas,
>
> One place to start is everywhere that "AnnotatedNode.setSynthetic(true)" is currently
called.  I think this misses the methods added for a property.  But it does cover several
AST transforms.  And maybe the transforms that add methods and don't call this method could
do so in addition to the modification to add "@Generated".  Maybe the call to setSynthetic
could actually add the annotation.  Or you could create a utility method that sets synthetic
and adds "@Generated".

{
>                 return false;
>             } else {
>                 return ScriptBytecodeAdapter.compareEqual(var2[16].callCurrent(this),
var2[17].call(otherTyped));
>             }
>         }
>     }
>
>     public int getValRead() {
>         return this.valRead;
>     }
>
>     public void setValRead(int var1) {
>         this.valRead = var1;
>     }
> }
> ----
>
> We can appreciate that the methods added by @ToString, @EqualsAndHashcode, and the property
getter/setter are not
> annotated with @Generated, which will prompt JaCoCo to mark them as not covered. The
rationale from the JaCoCo team
> is that these methods should be annotated as the compiler is "trusted", only those methods
explicitly added to the
> source should be covered.
>
> Thus, here comes the call to action and the reason why I wanted to start this conversation
in the first place:
>  - modify the Groovy compiler to add @Generated on property getters and setters.
>  - modify core AST xforms to add @Generated where it makes sense.
>
> Related to the original @Generated issue (as commented by Evgeny at https://github.com/jacoco/jacoco/pull/610)