groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>
Subject groovy-jaxb JDK9+ maven coordinates
Date Sun, 29 Jul 2018 03:29:38 GMT
If you haven't been following the story (soap opera?),
groovy-jaxb is affected by the removal of jaxb classes from JRE9+.
As of 2.5.1, groovy-jaxb is now an optional module so less people are
impacted.

For those that still want to use that module the current situation is:
(1) On JDK8, nothing to do, just reference the groovy-jaxb dependency.
(2) On JDK9+, reference groovy-jaxb plus the 4 jars needed for those JDK
versions.
(3) For a build to work across 8 and 9+, you need to have some tweaks in
your build. If you are using gradle, you can look at the build file for
groovy-jaxb for one way to do it.

One thing we could do is have another pom artifact like groovy-jaxb-deps
or groovy-jaxb-jdk9 or similar. This would make life simpler for case (2)
and a little nicer for (3) but doesn't really solve those cases if you were
also wanting the indy jars, so isn't a complete solution.

Given our long-term plan is to merge/swap to indy jars, I think we should
wait until then and then decide if we need any helper pom. So, in summary,
do nothing for now.

Does anyone have other views?

Thanks, Paul.