groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Andres Almiray <aalmi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: bool
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2018 04:20:48 GMT
-1 on supporting “bool”. Again, there’s little gain here and a lot of trouble down the
road supporting an aliased type.

Sent from my primitive Tricorder

> On 23 Jul 2018, at 03:29, mg <mgbiz@arscreat.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Jenn,
>
> @bool: You are right "bool" is of course used by many languages, including Python :-)
>
> @meaning of "fin": I was thinking of the French word for "end".
>
> Cheers,
> mg

> Von: Jennifer Strater <jenn.strater@gmail.com>
> Datum: 22.07.18 23:57 (GMT+01:00)
> An: dev@groovy.apache.org
> Betreff: Re: bool
>
> Hi mg,
>
> I also don't like the 'fin' proposal, but I could get behind 'bool'. It's shorter but
doesn't lose the meaning. It also makes it easier for people coming from other programming
languages.

> Best,
> Jenn
>

>> On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 11:39 PM, MG <mgbiz@arscreat.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> since things are going so well with my "fin" = "final" proposal, I propose that Groovy
support "bool" as a shortcut for "boolean".

>> "boolean" is already seeing large scale use by Groovy developers, "bool" instead
of "boolean" saves nearly half of the keyword's characters, "bool" is used in C++, it fits
better with the also widely used "int", and Groovy 3.0 is the ideal opportunity to introduce
such language extensions.