groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk>
Subject Re: bool
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2018 08:22:21 GMT
On Sun, 2018-07-22 at 23:39 +0200, MG wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since things are going so well with my "fin" = "final" proposal, I
> propose that Groovy support "bool" as a shortcut for "boolean".
>
> "boolean" is already seeing large scale use by Groovy developers,
> "bool"
> instead of "boolean" saves nearly half of the keyword's characters,
> "bool" is used in C++, it fits better with the also widely used
> "int",
> and Groovy 3.0 is the ideal opportunity to introduce such language
> extensions.

Isn't the long term intention to remove all primitive types from
languages compiling to the JVM?

Instead of int people are supposed to use Integer, instead of boolean
people are supposed to use Boolean, and leave all the optimisation to
the JVM.

Is there any point in fiddling with Groovy primitive type names in this
context?

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200