groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: module information creation for Groovy 3
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2018 15:38:29 GMT

Am 15.06.2018 um 08:58 schrieb Remi Forax:
> Hi,
> moditech provides two different things,
> - if you are an application, you can add the module-info to your dependencies, from the
POV of the VM, it means all your code will be modular so you can use jlink to create a minimal
docker file
> - you can add module-info to your own jar
>
> The first case is fully valid, i do the same thing but fully automatically (doing a static
analysis) with pro [1], it's great but only works if you are the final application, not a
library,
> the second case adds maintenance burden because the module-info doesn't get updated when
you change the code source or the pom.xml, so you can have the pom and the module-info disagreeing
on the dependency, a package you have just added being exported by default exported (instead
of been non-exported by default), a service being declared in the META-INF but not in the
module-info etc.

> So it means that you have to test your produced jars twice, with the classpath and with
the module-path to catch the regressions you may have introduced by not updating the moditech
plugin configuration to the changes done in the source code. Without modifying the test to
run twice, you will get nasty surprises :(

that might be true, but don't I have to do this anyway? And not only
that. I have to test as a system module as well.

bye Jochen