Here's all the differences between 2.4 and 2.5
I'd guess setFormatter() wouldn't be a very common thing to do (I think it'd only really come up if HelpFormatter were subclassed for some reason), so that one's probably not a big risk.  But I'm not sure setOptions() is safe to dummy up -- folks might be relying on this to configure the options to parse.  This might be a reason not to default to picocli yet.  What do you think?

I also looked at how current arguments passed on the commandline could break with the move, and the only thing I noticed was Commons CLI says it can do Java-like properties such as -Djava.awt.headless=true (although I didn't see how you'd actually configure these options unless you jammed all of them into 1 giant option).

-Keegan