groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk>
Subject Re: Groovy 2.5.0-rc-2 breaks Gant
Date Sun, 20 May 2018 09:58:06 GMT
On Fri, 2018-05-18 at 22:29 +0900, Remko Popma wrote:
[…]
> Just out of interest, will Gant migrate to groovy.cli.commons.CliBuilder or
> groovy.cli.picocli.CliBuilder?

Well on the one hand, Gant is a dead project that no-one cares about. It
hasn't had a release since Codehaus died, mainly because I can't work out how
to get a release into Bintray/Artifactory/Maven Central – mostly because no-
one uses Gant and do not actually care, so I don't work on it (*).

On the other hand I do regularly build it just to see what is broken. Mostly
just to be amazed at how broken it has become. Let's get 2.5.0-rc-3 out there
and I might take a more serious look just for the hell of it.

Gant is based on ancient Groovy and it's build on ancient Gradle, technically
it all needs a significant rewrite, but Gant was a thing of 2006 to 2008 (**)
so well past it's use by date – unless someone know differently.

(*) Much of this also applies to GPars.

(**) Because Gradle. Obviously. Gant lost it's raison d'etre when Hans and
Adam started Gradle in late 2007. And good for Hans he did a great job.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200