groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>
Subject Re: Groovy 2.5 CliBuilder article (request for feedback)
Date Tue, 29 May 2018 03:25:23 GMT
On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 9:43 AM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> I’ll change “annotating properties” to “annotating fields”.

I was suggesting the other way around. Field-like declarations in Groovy
without an explicit visibility modifier are properties. That's what your
examples show.

> About “getter methods for interfaces” and “setter methods for
> implementation classes”, I need to think about this some more but the
> distinction is important.
>
> The annotations can be a bit “magic” for users who don’t know the details
> of what happens under the hood.
>
> Without clear documentation users may try to use the annotations on the
> “getter” method of an implementation class.
>
> I’ll try to improve the wording but the analogy with JavaBeans is actually
> helpful rather than confusing, I think. Why do you think this analogy
> should be avoided?

Other people may have a different understanding but I normally see setters
as the term used for methods like setFoo, setBar, setBaz, etc. So that's
exactly what we want it to mean for implementation classes. The setters
will be there either explicitly or for all non readonly properties which
will have automatic setters.

The term "getters" is for methods like getFoo, getBar, getBaz etc. The
interfaces you are showing don't have such methods, e.g. help(), users(),
remaining(). There aren't setters, just interface methods.

Paul.