groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>
Subject Fwd: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.5.0-rc-3
Date Tue, 22 May 2018 02:52:32 GMT
Sorry, I accidentally went off-list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Paul King <paulk@asert.com.au>
Date: Tue, May 22, 2018 at 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.5.0-rc-3
To: Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com>

The warnings are by design. The java.time classes are only in JDK8, so our
extensions wouldn't make sense to load in JDK7.

The windows warning is I guess a bug that we've never addressed. If you go
into windows registry via regedit
and create the "Prefs" directory manually, the error will go away on that
machine. I believe we are just using
Java classes to write out preferences and the assumption was that it was a
Java bug that would eventually be fixed.
Perhaps it's worth re-looking at. The consequence is that it won't remember
if you change the groovyConsole window
size or default font size etc. but everything else will still work as
expected.

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 8:58 AM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> newModule
> WARNING: Module [groovy-datetime] - Unable to load extension class
> [org.apache.groovy.datetime.extensions.DateTimeStaticExtensions]
>
> With groovyConsole I additionally see a warning about preferences:
>
> $ groovyConsole -h
> May 22, 2018 7:55:58 AM org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.m12n.MetaInfExtensionModule
> newModule
> WARNING: Module [groovy-datetime] - Unable to load extension class
> [org.apache.groovy.datetime.extensions.DateTimeExtensions]
> May 22, 2018 7:55:58 AM org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.m12n.MetaInfExtensionModule
> newModule
> WARNING: Module [groovy-datetime] - Unable to load extension class
> [org.apache.groovy.datetime.extensions.DateTimeStaticExtensions]
> May 22, 2018 7:55:58 AM java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences <init>
> WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at
> root 0x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5.
>
> Is anyone else also seeing this?
>
> Remko
>
> On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 0:27 Paul King <paulk@asert.com.au> wrote:
>
>> If you run: ./gradlew rat
>> It should exclude all the necessary files using the excludes in
>> gradle/quality.gradle
>> (the excludes list actually has some extra entries so you can run it on
>> the full repo - which includes a few things we don't put in the src zip)
>>
>> As for the other tools still using commons CLI, it was intentional
>> originally as a way to test the legacy CliBuilder support but I think
>> we have that in hand now, so PRs welcome.
>>
>> I fixed the getParser typo. Thanks for spotting that. It would have still
>> worked but not achieved the desired outcome.
>>
>> We'll have to check all of the doco. There are numerous adoc files for
>> tools-groovy, tools-groovyc, groovydoc, etc.
>>
>> Cheers, Paul.
>>

>> On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 12:04 AM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> +1
>>>
>>> When building the GROOVY_2_5_X branch, I see failing RAT tests:
>>>
>>> $project/subprojects/groovy-templates/out/test/resources/inc
>>> ludes/hello-escaped.txt
>>> $project/subprojects/groovy-templates/out/test/resources/inc
>>> ludes/hello.html
>>> $project/subprojects/groovy-templates/out/test/resources/raw.txt
>>> $project/subprojects/groovy-templates/out/test/resources/to_
>>> be_escaped.txt
>>>
>>> Not a showstopper, but can these be excluded from the RAT checks somehow?
>>>

>>> Other things I noticed (none of them showstoppers, I believe):
>>>
>>> Out of the command line tools in bin, three were migrated from
>>> commons-cli to picocli (groovy, groovyc and grape), so they show usage help
>>> in ANSI colors and have consistent version, help and classpath switches.
>>> The others (groovysh, groovyConsole and groovydoc) either explicitly
>>> import groovy.cli.commons.CliBuilder or implicitly import
>>> groovy.util.CliBuilder. This means that these tools don't show help in ANSI