groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Cédric Champeau <cedric.champ...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What the... static compile by default
Date Mon, 07 May 2018 15:54:05 GMT
Hi Daniel and sorry you are "tired". Maybe the tone I used was
inappropriate?, but it wasn't directed at you personally. I'm quite
surprised to see some things like that happening on master without any
discussion on the MLs. Maybe that's because I expect too much from the
developers of Groovy, but I strongly think we owe better to the community,
and in particular code quality. In that area, we don't have _any_ peer
review. Everybody works on master, and I think that's a bad idea. Things
like this happen, but we have to realize that Groovy is used by tens of
thousands of developers, so any choice we make has consequences. So, if we
had peer reviews, questions like this wouldn't happen. Should you want to
introduce a feature, it wouldn't go to master without a review from another
committer/PMC. Same for Paul, and same for me. I think it's too easy to
push to master today, and this bites us.

So to come back to the original topic of this thread, I never saw that
ticket, and, for one, don't read every ticket out there, I mostly have time
to follow discussions on the MLs. So I can react when I see something that
looks wrong to me. Here, I don't have the impression that the ticket even
comes to any conclusion, it just "happened". I still think the approach is
incorrect, I'd typically very much prefer a custom file extension for
example. And if it's just for internal testing, the compiler configuration
already has everything we need without having to rely on a system property.
We have to realize that adding a property without testing it in combination
with other flags is a problem too.

That said, since I'm not contributing code anymore (my last contribution
was rewriting most of the build, which I hope was helpful), I'm happy to
step down and let you work as you wish. I mostly want to make sure Groovy
goes in the right direction. If I'm a blocker, I have no problem with that.