groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Groovy 2.5.0-rc-2 breaks Gant
Date Thu, 10 May 2018 15:08:08 GMT
I updated the PR to make the signature of `setPosix` accept Boolean instead
of boolean and added tests to ensure that nulls are handled correctly.
Thanks for pointing that out!

The picocli version of CliBuilder has tests to verify that Java-like
properties such as -Dkey=value are processed correctly in the new version
just like in the commons-cli version. (For multiple properties the option
can be specified multiple times: -Da=b -Dx=z )

I have not created a dummy setter for `setOptions` for the reason you
mentioned:
if users use this to configure the options it is probably better to fail
with a compiler error than silently ignoring such options.

It's hard to tell how many people would be impacted by this, but if we want
2.5 to be compatible with 2.4 we cannot make picocli the default in 2.5.

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 8:42 AM, Keegan Witt <keeganwitt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's all the differences between 2.4 and 2.5
>
>    - setFormatter(org.apache.commons.cli.HelpFormatter)  (in the PR)
>    - setParser(org.apache.commons.cli.CommandLineParser)   (in the PR)
>    - setOptions(org.apache.commons.cli.Options)
>    - setPosix(java.lang.Boolean)  (changed from boolean to Boolean, also
>    it's deprecated)
>
> I'd guess setFormatter() wouldn't be a very common thing to do (I think
> it'd only really come up if HelpFormatter were subclassed for some
> reason), so that one's probably not a big risk.  But I'm not sure
> setOptions() is safe to dummy up -- folks might be relying on this to
> configure the options to parse.  This might be a reason not to default to
> picocli yet.  What do you think?
>
> I also looked at how current arguments passed on the commandline could
> break with the move, and the only thing I noticed was Commons CLI says it
> can do Java-like properties such as -Djava.awt.headless=true (although I
> didn't see how you'd actually configure these options unless you jammed all
> of them into 1 giant option).
>
> -Keegan
>

> On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 1:06 AM, Paul King <paulk@asert.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Short answer is we can have as many RCs as needed to get it right but we
>> don't really want to be chopping and changing too much. Big changes are
>> supposed to be settling down by now - fate just brought this change late in
>> the game compared to what we'd like. I'd really like to get +ve feedback
>> from a SNAPSHOT with that change before doing another release including it.
>> I can merge in a couple of days time after conference commitments.
>>
>> Cheers, Paul.
>>
>> On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 2:27 PM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I realize now that simply removing the `parser` and `formatter`
>>> properties was a mistake. While the picocli version of CliBuilder cannot
>>> use commons-cli classes I should have anticipated that some applications
>>> are setting these properties.
>>>
>>> I believe that I have a solution that provides a smoother migration
>>> path.  PR
>>> https://github.com/apache/groovy/pull/696 adds dummy setters for the
>>> legacy properties.
>>>
>>> This should significantly reduce the disruption for applications like
>>> Gant that depend on the ability to modify these commons-cli properties in
>>> CliBuilder.
>>>
>>> Would it be possible to have another 2.5-rc release with the above
>>> change and see what the community feedback is before we decide to revert
>>> the CliBuilder delegation to point to the commons-cli implementation?
>>>
>>> Marking the delegation version class as deprecated is probably a good
>>> idea regardless of where it points to.
>>>
>>> Remko

ParserSpec