groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Commons cli contribution?
Date Tue, 29 May 2018 04:48:31 GMT
Romain,

I’m hoping for picocli to become the successor to Commons CLI (and to some
extent JCommander, args4j, jopt-simple etc).

Please take a look at the project. (Nutshell: apps can avoid depending on
picocli.jar, have ANSI colors, shell autocompletion,  subcommands, and
strongly typed options & positional parameters, all with almost zero code.)

I admire your enthusiasm to blow new life into  the Commons CLI project,
but I hope I can convince you to help evangelize picocli instead.

I don’t see much enthusiasm in the Apache Commons community to maintain the
CLI project (I see many open bugs, most of them years old). On the other
hand, picocli is actively maintained: features are continuously added and
there are no outstanding bugs. If a bug is reported, the fix is usually
released within 48 hours or less.

Picocli is a young project and it’s difficult to get traction against the
incumbents that have a large installed base.

It would be great if you could help picocli get visibility in the Java
community. Your enthusiasm could make a massive difference!

Looking forward to your response (either on-list or off-list, both are
fine).

Remko