groovy-dev mailing list archives

From "Milles, Eric (TR Technology & Ops)" <eric.mil...@thomsonreuters.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Renumber Groovy 2.6 to 2.9
Date Wed, 23 May 2018 14:37:59 GMT
I'm not sure if this has been stated as I have not had a chance to read this thread in the
last couple days, but here's my 2 cents:

I would stick with 2.6 as it has already been setup for builds, discussed in conferences and
can be seen on the groovy-lang downloads page w/ release notes.  I find that 2.6 follows semantic
versioning just fine and should there be any need, 2.7 could be created (but probably won't).

If you main thrust is 3.0, then try to push 2.6 out as soon after 2.5 is GA as can be achieved.
 I find value in 2.6 as it gives a chance to step into Parrot but not JDK8 or breaking changes.

________________________________
From: Paul King <paulk@asert.com.au>
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 3:25 AM
To: dev@groovy.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Renumber Groovy 2.6 to 2.9

Re "what's the rationale of supporting Java 7". The whole idea originally was listening to
our users.
They wanted the Parrot parser but were stuck on JDK7 at the time. They supplied the backporting
code
to make it work, But having said that, a lot of time has passed. I am certainly open to the
idea of
reducing our maintenance burden. I guess we should poll the user base in that case. If for
no other
reason to assist in communication. I'll do that once 2.5.0 is GA in about a week's time hopefully.

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 5:51 PM, Paolo Di Tommaso <paolo.ditommaso@gmail.com<mailto:paolo.ditommaso@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> But seriously, a project release in 2018 that supports Java 7 is extraordinary. The future
is JDK 11, not 7 :)

I definitely agree, what's the rationale of supporting Java 7? The new Java release train
is putting a lot of pressure on the fast adoption of latest Java versions. IMO it would be
much better to focus on Java 9 compatibility.

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 9:41 AM, Cédric Champeau <cedric.champeau@gmail.com<mailto:cedric.champeau@gmail.com>>