groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk>
Subject Re: 2.5.0-rc-3
Date Wed, 23 May 2018 10:23:24 GMT
On Wed, 2018-05-23 at 00:28 +1000, Paul King wrote:
> No plans to go to 18/19 model at this stage.
>
> If we push for an early 3.0, some of the breaking changes will have to be
> deferred.
> A very quick release after 3.0 could easily be a 3.1 if it was needed.
>
> The next major release (4.0) would be when we had tackled (a significant
> chunk of) the remaining breaking changes.

I am not sure a very rapid 3.0 → 3.1 is actually any sort of problem per se.

In the current climate is a 3.0 now, 4.0 in the next year actually a problem?

Given the very volunteer nature of the Groovy project, pragmatism more than
anything has to be the order of the day. However I think there is a marketing
element here. Having new 2.4.X releases doesn't really achieve anything
marketing-wise. Releasing 2.5.0 actually doesn't much either really, though
clearly we do it as we are already at RC-3, and it can be "milked". But 2.5 is
just backward compatible extensions to 2.4, is this Groovy actually
progressing?

I suggest we want to get a 3.0 out to show Groovy is progressing and with some
breaking changes, in particular JDK8+ only, not to mention a parser based on
somewhat newer technology!  "Groovy drops support for JDK7" is probably a good
thing marketing wise.

My feeling is that Groovy does not have enough resource to go for big major
version number releases, but that it needs something to combat the "it's old
technology" feel given the rise of Kotlin. I'd push for a 3.0 release soon and
worry about the metamodel changes later – unless they are already in place?

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200