groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.5.0-rc-3
Date Tue, 22 May 2018 06:02:41 GMT
Thanks for the clarification.
It wasn’t clear to me that this was about the java.time package. Is it possible to improve
the error message?

Interesting about the preferences error. Was there a bug filed with Oracle? If I have time
I can try to look into this further. Strange that I didn’t see this on Java 8 though...

Remko

> On May 22, 2018, at 11:52, Paul King <paulk@asert.com.au> wrote:
>

> Sorry, I accidentally went off-list.

wouldn't make sense to load in JDK7.

> The windows warning is I guess a bug that we've never addressed. If you go into windows
registry via regedit
> and create the "Prefs" directory manually, the error will go away on that machine. I
believe we are just using
> Java classes to write out preferences and the assumption was that it was a Java bug that
would eventually be fixed.
> Perhaps it's worth re-looking at. The consequence is that it won't remember if you change
the groovyConsole window
> size or default font size etc. but everything else will still work as expected.
>

>> On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 8:58 AM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Potential Java 7 issue:
>>
>> When I run the grape, groovyDoc, groovyConsole or groovysh command line tools with
environment variable JAVA_HOME set to my JDK-7 installation, I see two warnings that the extensions
and the static extensions for Date could not be installed.

>> $ groovyDoc
>> May 22, 2018 7:52:28 AM org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.m12n.MetaInfExtensionModule newModule
>> WARNING: Module [groovy-datetime] - Unable to load extension class [org.apache.groovy.datetime.extensions.DateTimeExtensions]
>> May 22, 2018 7:52:28 AM org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.m12n.MetaInfExtensionModule newModule
>> WARNING: Module [groovy-datetime] - Unable to load extension class [org.apache.groovy.datetime.extensions.DateTimeStaticExtensions]
>>
>> With groovyConsole I additionally see a warning about preferences:
>>
>> $ groovyConsole -h
>> May 22, 2018 7:55:58 AM org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.m12n.MetaInfExtensionModule newModule
>> WARNING: Module [groovy-datetime] - Unable to load extension class [org.apache.groovy.datetime.extensions.DateTimeExtensions]
>> May 22, 2018 7:55:58 AM org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.m12n.MetaInfExtensionModule newModule
>> WARNING: Module [groovy-datetime] - Unable to load extension class [org.apache.groovy.datetime.extensions.DateTimeStaticExtensions]
>> May 22, 2018 7:55:58 AM java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences <init>
>> WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000002.
Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5.

>> Is anyone else also seeing this?
>>
>> Remko
>>
>>> On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 0:27 Paul King <paulk@asert.com.au> wrote:
>>> If you run: ./gradlew rat
>>> It should exclude all the necessary files using the excludes in gradle/quality.gradle
>>> (the excludes list actually has some extra entries so you can run it on the full
repo - which includes a few things we don't put in the src zip)

>>> As for the other tools still using commons CLI, it was intentional originally
as a way to test the legacy CliBuilder support but I think
>>> we have that in hand now, so PRs welcome.
>>>
>>> I fixed the getParser typo. Thanks for spotting that. It would have still worked
but not achieved the desired outcome.

>>> We'll have to check all of the doco. There are numerous adoc files for tools-groovy,
tools-groovyc, groovydoc, etc.

>>> Cheers, Paul.

to picocli (groovy, groovyc and grape), so they show usage help in ANSI colors and have consistent
version, help and classpath switches. The others (groovysh, groovyConsole and groovydoc) either
explicitly import groovy.cli.commons.CliBuilder or implicitly import groovy.util.CliBuilder.
This means that these tools don't show help in ANSI colors. Their version, help and classpath
switches also look different than the first-mentioned tools. If this was intentional then
no problem. Otherwise it may be good to import groovy.cli.picocli.CliBuilder so they all have
usage help in ANSI colors, and perhaps align the switches. If there is interest I would like
to generate auto-completion scripts for all tools, if they are all picocli-based that becomes
easier.

the intention is that the one on line 60 should be named getParser instead?

is a bit out of date: missing the uninstall subcommand and missing the classifier argument
for the install subcommand.

at least three +1 PMC votes are cast.