groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Groovy 2.5 CliBuilder article (request for feedback)
Date Tue, 29 May 2018 04:17:20 GMT
Thanks for the clarification. I’ve made some changes based on your feedback.

Please let me know if you spot any more.

Thanks!
Remko

(Shameless plug) Every java main() method deserves http://picocli.info

> On May 29, 2018, at 12:25, Paul King <paulk@asert.com.au> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 9:43 AM, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Paul,
>>
>> I’ll change “annotating properties” to “annotating fields”.
>
> I was suggesting the other way around. Field-like declarations in Groovy without an explicit
visibility modifier are properties. That's what your examples show.

>> About “getter methods for interfaces” and “setter methods for implementation
classes”, I need to think about this some more but the distinction is important.

>> The annotations can be a bit “magic” for users who don’t know the details of
what happens under the hood.

>> Without clear documentation users may try to use the annotations on the “getter”
method of an implementation class.

>> I’ll try to improve the wording but the analogy with JavaBeans is actually helpful
rather than confusing, I think. Why do you think this analogy should be avoided?

> Other people may have a different understanding but I normally see setters as the term
used for methods like setFoo, setBar, setBaz, etc. So that's exactly what we want it to mean
for implementation classes. The setters will be there either explicitly or for all non readonly
properties which will have automatic setters.

> The term "getters" is for methods like getFoo, getBar, getBaz etc. The interfaces you
are showing don't have such methods, e.g. help(), users(), remaining(). There aren't setters,
just interface methods.

> Paul.
>

>> Remko
>>
>> (Shameless plug) Every java main() method deserves http://picocli.info
>>
>>> On May 29, 2018, at 4:11, Paul King <paulk@asert.com.au> wrote:
>>>
>>> Looks great!
>>>
>>> Two minor points (and they are possibly flaws that also exist in the Groovy doco
- I haven't checked):
>>> * I wouldn't use the term "getter methods of an interface", I'd just use "methods
of an interface". To avoid confusion with getter methods of JavaBean style classes.