groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk>
Subject Re: 2.5.0-rc-3
Date Tue, 22 May 2018 14:57:39 GMT
On Tue, 2018-05-22 at 15:06 +0200, mg wrote:
> Is the intention to switch to a rapid major release cycle like Windows,
> Java, etc ? If yes: Shouldn't we then call the next major release Groovy 18
> (or 19, depending on year of release) ?
> Could also be: groovy 2.6 -> groovy 18.0groovy 3.0 -> groovy 19.0
> What exactly would be in 4.0 ? Going to 4.0 quickly after 3.0 seems to
> devalue to me what an old school major release encompasses/means (with
> regards to expectations/press coverage/etc)... (?)

As I remember the various argument over the years, the resultant intention has
always been for Groovy to have what is effectively semantic versioning.

I quite like semantic versioning, I am not a fan of the current Java
versioning system even though I can, sort of, understand why they went the
route they have. To see why, you just have to look at the Linux 3 → 4 number
change.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200