groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Groovy 2.5.0-rc-2 breaks Gant
Date Fri, 18 May 2018 13:29:31 GMT
Paul changed `groovy.util.CliBuilder` to delegate to `groovy.cli.commons.CliBuilder` just now.

That should get rid of the reported error.

groovy.util.CliBuilder is now deprecated.
Just out of interest, will Gant migrate to groovy.cli.commons.CliBuilder or groovy.cli.picocli.CliBuilder?

Remko

> On May 18, 2018, at 22:14, Keegan Witt <keeganwitt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So do you want to change this back for RC3?  I know it's late to change this, but arguably
it was late to change it in RC2 too.

> -Keegan
>

>> On Thu, May 10, 2018, 11:08 AM Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I updated the PR to make the signature of `setPosix` accept Boolean instead of boolean
and added tests to ensure that nulls are handled correctly. Thanks for pointing that out!

>> The picocli version of CliBuilder has tests to verify that Java-like properties such
as -Dkey=value are processed correctly in the new version just like in the commons-cli version.
(For multiple properties the option can be specified multiple times: -Da=b -Dx=z )

>> I have not created a dummy setter for `setOptions` for the reason you mentioned:
>> if users use this to configure the options it is probably better to fail with a compiler
error than silently ignoring such options.

>> It's hard to tell how many people would be impacted by this, but if we want 2.5 to
be compatible with 2.4 we cannot make picocli the default in 2.5.

>>> On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 8:42 AM, Keegan Witt <keeganwitt@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Here's all the differences between 2.4 and 2.5
>>> setFormatter(org.apache.commons.cli.HelpFormatter)  (in the PR)
>>> setParser(org.apache.commons.cli.CommandLineParser)   (in the PR)
>>> setOptions(org.apache.commons.cli.Options)
>>> setPosix(java.lang.Boolean)  (changed from boolean to Boolean, also it's deprecated)
>>> I'd guess setFormatter() wouldn't be a very common thing to do (I think it'd
only really come up if HelpFormatter were subclassed for some reason), so that one's probably
not a big risk.  But I'm not sure setOptions() is safe to dummy up -- folks might be relying
on this to configure the options to parse.  This might be a reason not to default to picocli
yet.  What do you think?

>>> I also looked at how current arguments passed on the commandline could break
with the move, and the only thing I noticed was Commons CLI says it can do Java-like properties
such as -Djava.awt.headless=true (although I didn't see how you'd actually configure these
options unless you jammed all of them into 1 giant option).

>>> -Keegan

don't really want to be chopping and changing too much. Big changes are supposed to be settling
down by now - fate just brought this change late in the game compared to what we'd like. I'd
really like to get +ve feedback from a SNAPSHOT with that change before doing another release
including it. I can merge in a couple of days time after conference commitments.

was a mistake. While the picocli version of CliBuilder cannot use commons-cli classes I should
have anticipated that some applications are setting these properties.

 PR

Gant that depend on the ability to modify these commons-cli properties in CliBuilder.

and see what the community feedback is before we decide to revert the CliBuilder delegation
to point to the commons-cli implementation?

idea regardless of where it points to.

names, so encouraging people to use the non-delegated implementation of their choice is a
good option. They will need to get used to such changes in Groovy 3 anyway.

the existing package names to the new ones brought about by JDK9 modules, in which case we'd
do that for CliBuilder and we'd want to point it to the picocli package name by then (though
if we do the change below we perhaps wouldn't include CliBuilder in the translations list).

intend to. Because of that, the point of the delegation version is to aid in migration.
in 2.5. If we find too many problems I think I should revert that change and delegate to the
commons cli implementation instead but mark the whole delegation version class as deprecated.

not use a delegate to picocli and instead have folks switch the CliBuilder instance they instantiate.

methods that ignore the specified value and print a warning to stderr.

The error is that the `parser` property of this class is no longer writable.

the `parser` property in the CliBuilder constructor or using the groovy.cli.commons.CliBuilder
instead.

to make the transition easier.  The picocli version of CliBuilder can not make use of the
Commons-CLI parser class.  We could modify CliBuilder to silently ignore the specified parser.
 (We’d have to rename the picocli ParserSpec `parser` property in CliBuilder to something
else.)

by changing groovy.util.CliBuilder to use Picocli

Method)
Cannot set readonly property: parser for class: groovy.util.CliBuilder

stuff will break with parser not being able to be set anymore.