I tried this script:

class QueensBase {
int N = 2

double doFitness(List <Integer> board) {
List <Integer> leftDiagonal = new ArrayList(2*N)
List <Integer> rightDiagonal = new ArrayList(2*N)
double sum = 0.0D

for ( i in 1 .. 2*N) {
leftDiagonal[i] = 0
rightDiagonal[i] = 0
}
for ( i in 1 .. N) {
leftDiagonal[i+board[i]-1]++
rightDiagonal[N-i+board[i]]++
}
for ( i in 1 .. ((2*N) - 1)) {
int counter = 0
if ( leftDiagonal[i] > 1)
counter += leftDiagonal[i] - 1
if ( rightDiagonal[i] > 1)
counter += rightDiagonal[i] - 1
sum += counter / (N - Math.abs(i-N))
}
// target fitness is 0.0
// sum can be negative so return absolute value
return Math.abs(sum)
}
}

println new QueensBase().doFitness(1..16)

It worked for me in the Groovy Web Console, Intellij IDEA 2017.3.5 pointing to 2.4.15, and the GroovyConsole for 2.4.15 and 2.3.0.

Perhaps we need a bigger sample to track down your issue.

Cheers, Paul.