groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jesper Steen Møller <jes...@selskabet.org>
Subject Re: About creating instances of non-static inner classes with Java-Like syntax
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2018 07:02:41 GMT
Hi Remko,

I'm so glad that somebody's used it (in Java). I've fixed an issue or two over in Eclipse
JDT around this very construct (placement new) - I had to read the spec to find out how it
was supposed to work...

-Jesper

> On 11 Apr 2018, at 16.01, Remko Popma <remko.popma@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Eric,
>
> Yes this is used.
>
> For example, picocli has an Ansi enum (ON, OFF, AUTO), with a nested inner class Text.

> A Text instance is created with
> `currentAnsi.new Text(“@|bold hello|@“);`
> The outer class determines whether Ansi escape codes are emitted when the text is rendered.

> I’m sure it’s possible to design things differently but if you are asking “is this
actually used“, the answer is yes.

> (Shameless plug) Every java main() method deserves http://picocli.info
>
>> On Apr 12, 2018, at 2:36, <eric.milles@thomsonreuters.com> <eric.milles@thomsonreuters.com>
wrote:

>> I know it is part of the Java spec, but do you know anyone that actuallky does that?
 I'm just curious as I've never once seen a need for it.

>> Array creation is the one item that comes up most often for me when converting a
source file from Java to Groovy.