groovy-dev mailing list archives

From MG <mg...@arscreat.com>
Subject @Newify(classNamePattern=/[A-Z].*/) - Questions
Date Sun, 08 Apr 2018 21:03:48 GMT
I am working on an implementation of @Newify classNamePattern support,
which should allow Groovy to optionally support object creation (ctor
calls) without the need for the "new" keyword on a global level, as in
Python or Kotlin (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GROOVY-8490)
without negatively impacting build performance.

Imported classes and classes defined inside a script are already working
inside my tests, but I have the following questions:

(1) What would the best way to get the class nodes for the missing case
of predefined classes. I saw that ClassHelper has private static member
that seems to have the classes I am looking for:

     private static final Class[]classes =new Class[]{
             Object.class, Boolean.TYPE, Character.TYPE, Byte.TYPE, Short.TYPE,
             Integer.TYPE, Long.TYPE, Double.TYPE, Float.TYPE, Void.TYPE,
             Closure.class, GString.class, List.class, Map.class, Range.class,
             Pattern.class, Script.class, String.class, Boolean.class,
             Character.class, Byte.class, Short.class, Integer.class, Long.class,
             Double.class, Float.class, BigDecimal.class, BigInteger.class,
             Number.class, Void.class, Reference.class, Class.class, MetaClass.class,
             Iterator.class, GeneratedClosure.class, GeneratedLambda.class, GroovyObjectSupport.class
};

If I could access these, I could get their corresponding ClassNode
through ClassHelper.makeCached(predefinedClass).
I could introduce a static class-name-to-class map (in ClassHelper or
NewifyASTTransformation), but that would break one source of truth -
unless not all predefined classes should be supported in the
NewifyASTTransformation classNamePattern execution paths (I would need
to filter for interfaces (e.g. MetaClass, GeneratedClosure,
GeneratedLambda, GroovyObjectSupport) and non-instantiable classes (e.g.
Void) in any case...)

(2) The name-to-class-node lookup code for the already implemented cases
currently looks as follows:

final List<ClassNode> unitClassNodes =source.getAST().getClasses();for(ClassNode type
: unitClassNodes) { // speed up through map ?
     if(type.getNameWithoutPackage().equals(methodName)) {
         return type;
     }
}

final ClassNode type =source.getAST().getImportType(methodName);
if(type !=null) {
     return type;
}

The question here would be if there already exists a faster way to look
up the unitClassNodes, or if I should cache them in a map myself ?

(3) If someone globally uses an inefficient pattern string for
classNamePattern (e.g. /.*/), build performance will probably be
negatively impacted, because now every method call will be unecessarily
checked if it is a ctor call. So would it make sense to either
(a) Introduce a boolean parameter that supplies a standard sensible
pattern (e.g. /[A-Z].*/)
(b) Introduce a boolean parameter that allows to override a then
to-be-introduced check that enforces the first matched char must be
uppercase (either in the pattern or in the code) ?
It's a bit "safe the programmer from himself", but I could see someone
making the honest mistake to think that if he wants every class to be
instantiable without "new", to just use /.*/  (even if the GroovyDoc
will of course warn not do so ;-) ) ...

Cheers,
mg