groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: About the Phoenix plan for Groovy
Date Sun, 08 Apr 2018 18:57:42 GMT
On 08.04.2018 20:46, C├ędric Champeau wrote:
[...]
> Honestly I don't have much time to work on Groovy. And if I had, the
> generics STC bugs would be the last thing I'd like to get my hands into.
> The ClassNode infrastructure was retrofitted to introduce generics back
> in 1.5, but since it was for dynamic world, it wasn't really designed
> for what we do now.

the structure was designed to closely represent what we get through
reflection from Java, to make it easy to make this available. Of course
in Java too generics are like an not so well fitting add-on. But since
you keep coming with this I am curious in what you specifically miss,
that must be in ClassNode

> So, every bugfix you make is likely to introduce
> another bug somewhere else. That makes the process very painful. More so
> when type inference enters the game. Jochen and I spent a lot of time
> writing, rewriting helper methods to make this easier, but it's just too
> hard for the little time I can afford.

fixing generics bugs usually takes long. But I really wonder how the API
would have to look like to make this easy. I am not having enough
fantasy for that it seems

bye Jochen