groovy-dev mailing list archives

From <eric.mil...@thomsonreuters.com>
Subject RE: GROOVY-8527: Enhance import aliasing to an alias with a package name
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2018 15:07:05 GMT
I agree; I don't see the value here.  Could the backwards compat problem be solved with compiler
configuration (aka a global transform)?

I have heard from many developers that import aliasing is a feature they don't particularly
like.  Adding an odd edge case to this feature seems confusing at best to me as a user of
the language.  I must stress again my sentiment from a couple months ago: there are so many
features being added witout much in the way of discussion that I don't see much focus in what
Groovy 3.0 is intended to be.  I have submitted over 20 bugs in the past months for existing
features that do not mix well with eachother or are not completely implemented and yet I feel
the core development thrust is not in fixing bugs for existing features but in adding new
features for the sake of new features.

From: mg [mailto:mgbiz@arscreat.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2018 7:32 AM
To: dev@groovy.apache.org
Subject: Re: GROOVY-8527: Enhance import aliasing to an alias with a package name

Hmmm - is it really worth introducing this feature for a temporary backward compatibility
fix, especially considering Paul himself is mentioning some security concerns ? Wouldn't it
be better to supply e.g. a small tool that converts Groovy pre-module-code to Groovy 3.0 code
(could CodeNarc be used for something like that ?), that could fix or point out different
kinds of "breaking changes spots" ?