groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: GROOVY-8527: Enhance import aliasing to an alias with a package name
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2018 00:36:56 GMT
On 04.04.2018 21:38, eric.milles@thomsonreuters.com wrote:
>>> [...]I have submitted over 20 bugs in
>>> the past months for existing features that do not mix well with
>>> eachother or are not completely implemented and yet I feel the core
>>> development thrust is not in fixing bugs for existing features but in
>>> adding new features for the sake of new features.
>>
>> not many are eager to spend their spare time after working hours on fixing complicated
bugs and going through the whole process and discussions.

> If the incentive for fixing bugs was enticing enough, wouldn't there be eager developers?

Do you have a recipe of how to give an enticing incentive? Actually,
from looking at your issues you are suggesting solutions in some places,
but you seem not be motivated enough to make a pull request for example.
Why is that?

> What then is the point of adding new features onto an unhealthy, under-supported language?

I think you exaggerate. But the point is attracting new people. If you
do not move, people move away. Annoying, long standing bugs can have the
same effect of course

>  If this is truly the state of the union, then I would vote NO on all new feature development.

We need to find the right balance. The new parser for example does not
exist because we wanted a new parser. It exists because the old parser
started to become a problem for fixing bugs. Of course once you have a
new parser, that is more maintainable and a person that understands it
very well, you will also see features from other languages and see them
with the eyes of a parser guy that is wondering if this brings any
benefit to Groovy. That is natural.

Anyway... the static compiler is a deep resource of bugs and will stay
being it a long time. Inner classes in all variants contain new
surprises time over time. But excluding those two topics what are your
top 3 of open bugs in jira entered by you where existing features do not
mix well with eachother or are not completely implemented?

bye Jochen