groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>
Subject Re: next generation CliBuilder?
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2018 01:11:32 GMT
Picocli has always looked like a nice alternative. It wasn't an option for
me before it had the api but picocli 3 seems to have that covered. The jar
is bigger (193k vs 53k) but perhaps not a huge issue. CliBuilder supports
strong typing for options at the api level without having to specify a
default value. I don't think the picocli api supports this but neither did
commons cli, so perhaps that can be catered for in a reworked CliBuilder
similar to how we do it now.

My main reservation is we haven't received a lot of feedback on our
existing annotations API and strong typing support in 2.5. But if we had a
fully backward compatible drop-in replacement, I wouldn't be against it.

Cheers, Paul.