groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Remko Popma <remko.po...@gmail.com>
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2018 17:26:19 GMT
Would there be any interest in a next generation CliBuilder that is
based on [picocli][1] instead of commons-cli?

This would enable new features like:
* support for nested [subcommands][2]
* strongly typed [positional parameters][3]
* command line [autocompletion][4]
* [ANSI colors][5] in usage help message

Picocli is actively maintained and developed. The next major
release (3.0) includes a [programmatic API][6] in addition
to the annotations API.

If there is any interest, I would be happy to do the work
to develop, create tests and document such a next generation
CliBuilder (CliBuilder2?). I was thinking to try to make the
API very similar to the current CliBuilder to facilitate user
migration, but I am open to suggestions.

Thoughts?

[1]: https://github.com/remkop/picocli
[2]: http://picocli.info/index.html#_subcommands
[3]: http://picocli.info/index.html#_positional_parameters