groovy-dev mailing list archives

From MG <mg...@arscreat.com>
Subject Re: Java raw string literals
Date Sat, 24 Feb 2018 17:29:50 GMT
In the absensce of a dedicated string-quoting-character (which would
actually _never_ appear inside a string, since it has a distinct
display-brother, which is to be used if you want to use the
string-quoting-character inside a text), should we go the same way as
C++ or PL/SQL, and support an arbitrary string quoting char sequence ?

e.g. (C++):
R"xxx(...)xxx"
where xxx is a (nearly) arbitrary char sequence.
(I am not advocating the C++ syntax, but I think any syntax chosen
should be combinable with the already existing large number of ways to
give different kinds of String/GString literals in Groovy)

Rationale: This would allow to fall back to a case/domain specific
string quoting char sequence which "never occurs inside the quoted string".

On a side note, what I could also have used in the past would have been
some way to give a trimmed string literal (i.e. one that strips away
newline and whitespaces automatically). Not sure whether that would make
sense to put this inside the string quoting syntax, though.

Cheers,
mg