groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Laforge <glafo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [GEP] Refine parsing negative numbers
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2018 10:40:11 GMT
We have to be careful with such breaking changes, as it could change the
results of existing calculations.
The other aspect being the fact that the AST would be different, so it
might have a small impact on some AST transformations that would look at
such constant numbers.

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 10:53 AM, Daniel Sun <realbluesun@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
>      Thanks for your finding these discussion.
>
>      As Jochen said: Ruby and Python calculate `-2**4` and return `-16`,
> Groovy returns the same value currently.
>
>      But Scala/Excel  returns `16`...
>
>      Maybe Ruby/Python/Groovy behaves properly for most people...
>

> blackdrag wrote
> > I just checked Ruby and Python and there -2**4 will return -16, same for
> > -2^4 in
> > Lua. So now I am wondering if that is the right thing for unary minus
> >

> > bye blackdrag
>

> Cheers,
> Daniel.Sun
>

> --