groovy-dev mailing list archives

From David Ekholm <da...@jalbum.net>
Subject Re: Remembering imports between script invocations
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2018 16:06:52 GMT
Who can I contact?

Regards
/David

> On 8 Feb 2018, at 23:25, <eric.milles@thomsonreuters.com> <eric.milles@thomsonreuters.com>
wrote:

> Sounds more like the Groovy Shell or Groovy Console.  Not too sure myself how the javax.script
stuff is tied in.

ad-hoc add another import, but as they are forgotten between script invocations, it makes
it hard to use Groovy to interactively create, say a Swing or JavaFX UI one line at a time.
With BeanShell, the user can add the needed imports, execute that "script" and then continue
to refer to the imported classes in the following script invocations. Making Groovy remember
imports would make it behave in as nice fashion as the new JShell tool in Java 9. JShell unfortunately
cannot run embedded via the javax.script API :-(

> Regards
> /David
>
> On 8 Feb 2018, at 21:34, eric.milles@thomsonreuters.com <mailto:eric.milles@thomsonreuters.com>
wrote:

> You can add all the imports you want to your compiler configuration and they will be
consistently available for all scripts.

software jAlbum (http://jalbum.net <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__jalbum.net&d=DwMFAg&c=4ZIZThykDLcoWk-GVjSLmy8-1Cr1I4FWIvbLFebwKgY&r=tPJuIuL_GkTEazjQW7vvl7mNWVGXn3yJD5LGBHYYHww&m=39n_uU4e7-n_s_WwrNC_8tQYLfhWKgmT_dDWwJw8ctA&s=jGwsu2zf5Pm3kG3GKLFFxalyi30aoXq_-izsMrEy_iQ&e=>),
but one aspect bugs me: It doesn't seem like import statements are remembered between script
invocations. This makes it far harder to use Groovy to prototype UIs within jAlbum's scripting
console than for instance BeanShell (using the javax.script API). We currently support the
slow BeanShell scripting language and JavaScript. BeanShell behaves well in this regard, remembering
earlier imported packages between script invocations. Can this be added to Groovy or is there
some API flag we can set?