groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>
Subject Re: Making @Immutable a meta-annotation
Date Tue, 16 Jan 2018 00:56:44 GMT
Explanations below.

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 12:56 AM, MG <mgbiz@arscreat.com> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> 1) for me, if you have to explain a name better, then it is already a bad
> name. Intuitively suggesting the correct interpretation to another
> developer, without requiring him to thoroughly read through the
> documentation, is the art of picking good names (which imho Groovy overall
> does a good job at).
> With regards to @KnownImmutable, "someone (the compiler or the developer)
> knows" is even more confusing. If it is in fact irrelevant who knows it,
> why is there a "Known" in the name in the first place ? And why is
> therefore e.g. @IsImmutable not a better name (it could also carry a
> parameter which can be true or false, with false allowing a developer to
> express that a class is definitely not immutable (even if it might look
> that way on first glance; e.g. effectively blocking or issuing a warning in
> certain parallel execution scenarios)).

We have since the introduction of @Immutable used the knownImmutable and
knownImmutableClasses annotation attributes and people seem to grok what
they mean. This is a very similar use case. I think it would be hard to
justify renaming @KnownImmutable without renaming the annotation attributes
as well.

> 2) There seems to be a contradiction in your statements: You say that
> "Once @ImmutableBase (or whatever name) processing has finished its checks,
> it can then vouch for the class and puts the marker interface
> [@KnownImmutable] "rubber stamp" on it", but further down you say that
> "These changes [that @ImmutableBase applies] alone don't guarantee
> immutability.". Is it a "known immutable" after @ImmutableBase has done its
> thing, or not ?

Only after all transformations have completed it is guaranteed (see below).

> 3) If I did not miss something the new @Immutable meta annotation is made
> up of the following annotations:
> @ImmutableBase
> @KnownImmutable
> @ToString
> @EqualsAndHashCode
> @MapConstructor
> @TupleConstructor
>
> How is any of the last four necessary for a class to be immutable ?
> Immutability to me means, that the state of the class cannot be changed
> after it has been created. How are @ToString, @EqualsAndHashCode,
> @MapConstructor, and @TupleConstructor helping with this ?
> At least one ctor to initialize the class fields is basically necessary to
> make this a practically usable immutable class, yes, but @IsImmutable it
> must be after @ImmutableBase does its job, or it will not be immutable in
> the end. All the other annotations are just icing on the cake (see
> "@Immutable should be named @ImmutableCanonical").

@MapConstructor and @TupleConstructor do different things if they find the
@KnownImmutable marker interface on the class they are processing
(defensive copy in/clone/wrap etc.) which is needed for immutable classes.
We could have used an additional annotation attribute (makeImmutable =
true) or something but the marker interface is useful in its own right and
it seems sensible to not duplicate the information it conveys. Besides we'd
have to choose a name for "makeImmutable" and again since it's only part of
the immutable story good naming would be hard.

> If you keep @ImmutableBase, at least consider replacing @KnownImmutable
> with @GuaranteedImmutableTag or @GuaranteedImmutableMarker ? The "Tag" or
> "Marker" postfix at least expresses that this annotation just tags the
> class as having certain properties, and that this is a general fact, and
> not only known to developers or compilers in the know...

Marker interfaces are commonplace within the Java world and we don't name
them as such. It's not CloneableTag or SerializableMarker. I think adding
such a suffix would be confusing.