groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>
Subject Re: Making @Immutable a meta-annotation
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2018 00:48:49 GMT
Response inline.

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 9:54 AM, MG <mgbiz@arscreat.com> wrote:

> Hmmm.... If the argument for naming the marker annotation @KnownImmutable
> was that the existing parameters have similar names (and cannot be changed)
> then it seems to me the "KnownImmutable" name choice was pretty immutable
> to begin with...
>
> Apart from that, there is still the inconsistency what @KnownImmutable
> really expresses:
>
>    - Class that carries @KnownImmutable is "fully immutable": When a
>    developer puts the annotation on a class
>    - Class that carries @KnownImmutable is "bse immutable" (i.e. no
>    defense-copying ctors etc): When being put by the Groovy compiler on a
>    class after having applied @ImmutableBase transformations to it.
>
> This second bullet is the wrong way to look at what is going on. Just
using @ImmutableBase (or whatever name) on a class doesn't add the
@KnownImmutable annotation. The @Immutable annotation collector adds
@KnownImmutable knowing that @ImmutableBase and the various constructor
annotations are going to be processed. So in fact it's just the first case
but with the compiler indicating that it is "fully immutable". So I don't
see a conflict as far as the @Immutable annotation goes. What you could
argue is that users of the constructor transformations might want the
defensive copying etc. but might not want to make the class fully immutable
in which case having an annotation attribute like
@MapConstructor(makeImmutable=true) would make more sense. This would
provide maximum flexibility and remove the slight dual usage of the
annotation. But the other way to look at this is that having a
"makeImmutable" annotation attribute smells of implementation detail and
just using @KnownImmutable is the more declarative way to express what we
want to achieve with less noise.