Note that I'm still not done with fixing. Things are in a much better shape now, but the build is still doing very bad things. Typically this:

```
task docProjectVersionInfo(type: Copy) {
destinationDir = file("${project(':groovy-docgenerator').sourceSets.main.java.outputDir}")
into('META-INF') {
from('src/resources/META-INF/groovy-release-info.properties') {
filter(rootProject.propertiesFilter, org.apache.tools.ant.filters.ReplaceTokens)
}
}
from('subprojects/groovy-docgenerator/src/main/resources')
} ```
Generating/copying things in the source directory is a bad idea, because it will invalidate caches, so the task will not be up-to-date. 
But there are things even worse, like the terrible `GroocycTest` task in the Ant subproject. This one is full of assumptions, like where
the sources are found, happily mixes its own sources with test sources, expects things to be written in the same output directory as the
compiled test classes. Even the test itself has wrong assertions, as the fact the compiled class runs is accidental because of a classpath
mix up. In other words, GroovycTest should be totally rewritten to avoid all this (but I won't do it, I don't have time).


2017-12-13 8:24 GMT+01:00 Cédric Champeau <cedric.champeau@gmail.com>:
@Paul I only kept the `java7Compatible` checks to make it easier to backport changes. Each branch can now be adjusted as needed.

2017-12-13 7:35 GMT+01:00 Paul King <paulk@asert.com.au>:
Actually, it looks like you are still using skipIndy but why check for java7Compatible when that is out minimum requirement anyway?

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 4:21 PM, Paul King <paulk@asert.com.au> wrote:
Should we just delete indy.gradle (obviously not in 2_4_X)? Otherwise the build fails for me when I used an old commandline with -PskipIndy=true.

Cheers, Paul.

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Cédric Champeau <cedric.champeau@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi folks,

As promised I spent some time reworking the Gradle build. For those interested, you can take a look at the progress checking out my branch [1].

You'll notice that the build should be much faster [2], especially after changes, and it now makes use of the build cache. I also got rid of the crazy way to build the indy jars, it's now streamlined.

I'm interested in feedback, since it's a potential breaking change. If everything goes well, I will backport the changes to the 2.5/2.6 builds (so please avoid changes there too).

Thanks a lot,