groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>
Subject Re: [VOTE]Support package scope via `package` keyword
Date Sun, 31 Dec 2017 06:24:12 GMT
On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Nathan Harvey <nathanwharvey@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...] My original point remains that using an
> annotation to declare scope is awkward and cumbersome.

The thinking behind that at the time was that it is comparatively rare to
use package private
scope so let's not care if it's a little bit awkward and cumbersome if it
makes the much more
common case (public) much more concise. If we think the assumptions have
changed around
package private usage since then, it is possibly worth looking at again but
it isn't something
that I've noticed. The trend I was noticing some time back was that
inheritance (protected)
and package private (predominantly for ease of testing) were becoming less
common with
dependency injection and various agile practices reducing usage but perhaps
things have
swung the other away recently and I haven't noticed.

Anyway, I'm happy to vote +1 on something that I see as not having a
downside but for
something that seems just like a sideways move with different but it's own
pros/cons then
I am less enthusiastic.

Cheers, Paul.