groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Automatic module names
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2017 10:09:58 GMT
+1 with the following comments:

* No minus in module names as previously noted.
* WRT no fat jar, I think you could argue Groovy is both a library and an
application, so I think there is still a case for wanting to provide
special support for non-Gradle and non-Maven users of Groovy. Having said
that, I think our zip (and other) distributions go a long way to supporting
such users and we can explore further support such as some kind of fat jar
later and in ways that don't compromise more typical usage.
* Just as a side note, we should also explore options like what I believe
Kotlin provides of providing package translation during compilation. This
won't stop the need for some breaking package names but might mean just a
recompile will be enough in some cases to migrate to a new version of
Groovy. We could have a compiler switch which turned on the translations
and added in some extra automatic imports.

Cheers, Paul.