groovy-dev mailing list archives

From C├ędric Champeau <cedric.champ...@gmail.com>
Subject [VOTE] Automatic module names
Date Sun, 03 Dec 2017 09:31:27 GMT
Hi fellow Groovy devs,

We had 2 different conversations in the past weeks regarding automatic
module names for Groovy. We also starting receiving notifications that some
3rd party projects are blocked by Groovy when upgrading to modules (which
is no surprise). Logback for one.

We need to move forward, and take small steps forward. So, here's the plan:

1a. Replace the groovy-all jar with a groovy-all POM with just
dependencies, so that those depending on groovy-all.jar would now get
groovy.jar, groovy-json.jar and friends, instead of the all jar.
1b. Add automatic module names for all jars we have. Since we know breaking
changes are coming, I'd suggest using "org.codehaus.groovy",
"org.codehaus.groovy-json", ...
2. Fix split packages
3. When this is fixed, change module names to "org.apache.groovy",
"org.apache.groovy-json", ...

I would do 1a and 1b as soon as possible (2.5).
I would do 2 and 3 for 3.0, since those are binary breaking changes. This
is also why I would leverage that to move to org.apache module names.

I am against providing another -all jar, which would be confusing. Also we
have to get rid, as a larger community (java), of the bad habit of using
fat jars as dependencies. Those should only be used in final applications,
not libraries, so should be transparent to consumers.

Please vote, so that we can move forward.

[ ] +1 The plan sounds good
[ ] 0 I don't understand enough of the context to have an opinion
[ ] -1 because...

Thanks a lot,