groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>
Subject Removing our use of sun.misc.Unsafe
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2017 03:41:40 GMT
I was going to try to progress removing Unsafe but I am a little unsure
where others might have gotten up to in previous investigations. So, I have
a bunch of questions in case others have some answers/ideas.

Does anyone know whether variable handles might work for us? Inside some
kind of jdk9 plugin I guess?

Has anyone looked into how we might package up our unsafe usage in such a
way that it could be used in pre-jdk9 environments where var handles aren't
available but not result in errors/warnings in jdk9?

What tests were being run to ensure that performance wasn't lost?

Can we remove the OFFSET enum in FastStringUtils described as applicable
for JDK4/5?

Cheers, Paul.