groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>
Subject Re: Parsing slashy string as method argument
Date Fri, 20 Oct 2017 01:31:53 GMT
Historically, there were conflicts with parsing the grammar.
Basically, examples like:
foo / bar /
getting mixed up with division:
foo / bar
and this one being tricky also:
println /* I'd like a comment here */

I don't know if we can do any better in the new parser. In theory, with
enough lookahead, you can sometimes work out such cases but there are often
tricky edge cases that get in the way. Daniel might have more thoughts.
Perhaps though permitting the dollar slashy string might be an improvement.
It might have a much smaller impact.

Cheers, Paul.