groovy-dev mailing list archives

From John Wagenleitner <john.wagenleit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Removing our use of sun.misc.Unsafe
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2017 14:28:36 GMT
I would be in favor of removing Unsafe from the groovy-json subproject
which I think is the only place where it's used. I had planned to propose
this to the dev list but never got around to it. With compat strings in
Java 9 I believe it will no longer be a viable optimization (at least not
without quite a bit of effort) and while there may be some performance (or
memory) impact for those using Java 7/8 I suspect it wont be that
noticeable for most all workloads.

I not sure var handles will help much given the work that would be needed
to decode the new byte array that String uses in 9. I definitely think
offset can be removed since now we are Java 6 minimum, though I would
propose Unsafe be removed altogether from 2.5 onwards.