groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: Removing our use of sun.misc.Unsafe
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2017 06:48:35 GMT
On 13.10.2017 05:41, Paul King wrote:

> I was going to try to progress removing Unsafe but I am a little unsure
> where others might have gotten up to in previous investigations. So, I
> have a bunch of questions in case others have some answers/ideas.
>
> Does anyone know whether variable handles might work for us? Inside some
> kind of jdk9 plugin I guess?

in my opinion no. Not to operate on private fields of java.lang.String
without a Lookup object that has the rights to operate on the fields,
which would come from java.lang.String itself. As such a thing is not
provided, there will be no possibility.

> Has anyone looked into how we might package up our unsafe usage in such
> a way that it could be used in pre-jdk9 environments where var handles
> aren't available but not result in errors/warnings in jdk9?

to avoid the warning we would have to not even try to get Unsafe. I
would extend our vmplugin system for this then.

> What tests were being run to ensure that performance wasn't lost?

None... but what are you going to do if there is a performance loss? If
there is no alternative, then there is no alternative. And then there is
nothing to compare against, thus there is no performance loss, as a loss
requires a base, which then does not exist anymore.

> Can we remove the OFFSET enum in FastStringUtils described as applicable
> for JDK4/5?

Well... officially we do not JDK4... I think our minimum for 2.4 was
JDK6? In that case... yeah I guess so ;)

bye Jochen