groovy-dev mailing list archives

From David Dawson <david.daw...@simplicityitself.com>
Subject Re: About if statement in the right hand of assignment statement
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2017 08:47:23 GMT
I would very much appreciate this.  I've been doing a chunk of work in Rust
lately and it has the philosophy of "everything is an expression". It leads
to things like this

def val = if (something) {  "hello" } else { "other stuff" }

being very normal, which helps with a fair few constructs. Specifically in
rust it helps you manage safety blocks, which isn't an issue in Groovy per
se, but I can see that mapping over into DSLs pretty well.

My humble opinion would be that if you were to do it, then I would much
rather it be done "properly", is, having the if/ switch become expression
constructs rather than simple statements.

David.