groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.6.0-alpha-1
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2017 08:30:28 GMT
I checked the signature and checksums of the source and binary artifacts.
I could build the jars, run the tests and install locally from the sources
but because of Gradle's recent breaking changes you have to bootstrap
getting the wrapper using Gradle 4.0+.
Also, when I try to run certain targets (e.g. dist) or particular
combinations of switches (e.g. trying to skip indy) I also noticed the
build would hang. It feels like a Gradle thing but I haven't had time to
track it down.

In summary, +1 from me with some minor caveats we should mention in the
release email/fix before the next alpha

* we should document the Gradle 4 requirement for running the wrapper task
* the license files specifically mention ASM 4 but we are now on 6 even
though the license hasn't changed
* the Spock version referenced is a snapshot version - which is required
for 3.0 at the moment but not needed for 2.6
* we should try to harden the build and work out why it hangs or whether
particular steps/switches can be used to minimise potential problems
* we should release note some known limitations (final decision on native
lambdas still pending, groovysh/groovydoc not yet working with Parrot)

Cheers, Paul.